Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Finding Time for "Me" Again

I have been meaning to address this subject for a few weeks, but I keep forgetting.....or I keep getting sidetracked. But, I think it is so important for moms (and dads) to find time for themselves. I am finally getting to the point where Nate is a little more self sufficient (despite his recent injury). He can be left alone in the playroom to play for a little bit. I can put him in the guest room bed to watch TV for a while. I am getting a little breathing room. And, while it is easy to use that breathing room to fold laundry, clean, do dishes, etc... I have recently been trying to take a few minutes for myself. There will ALWAYS be laundry..there will always be dishes. I don't have to do them the minute they start accumulating. A few weeks ago, I finally did something I hadn't done in YEARS...I read a BOOK! No, not a pregnancy book, a how to book, a child development book, a parenting magazine, an article on kids....an actual book. I chose "The Help." If you haven't read it, read it. It is an amazing story. I wanted to read it because the movie was coming out and it looked so good. But, I am one of those people who likes to read the book before seeing the movie. The book was incredible and I was almost sad when I finished it...I wanted to read it forever and I felt like I would never find another book that was so good.

So, then, a few Saturdays ago around noon..I got dressed went downstairs and said to Kevin, "I am going out" and I just left. I left. I didn't tell anyone what I was doing or where I was going, I just said I was going out. I went to a matinee showing of "The Help"....by myself. And, it was the BEST two and a half hours I have spent in months. I thought back to grade school or high school when it would have been mortifying/social suicide to go to the movies by yourself. I mean, only losers do that, right? It was awesome...awesome. I kind of gulped when I had to say to the guy in the ticket window, "One for the 12:30 showing of The Help." Was the guy judging me? Did he think I was a loser? Maybe I was meeting someone, how would he know? I finally settled on, "He's a kid who is working at the box office of a movie theater, he doesn't give a crap what I am doing." I got myself a $4.50 Coke Zero (which in any store would have bought you 2-2 liters) and walked into the theater. I was really surprised at what I saw....there were A LOT of women sitting by themselves. We all kind of looked at each other and met eyes for a second and looked away. It was almost refreshing to know that I wasn't the only one. The only one who needed a break on a Saturday afternoon, a break from our husbands, our kids, the piles of laundry and dishes. We were in a club, with a two second glance, we were united. There were only about 20 or so people there...many older people...the rest, moms. Saturday matinees are where it's at, people...

And, I watched every preview..the entire movie and every last second of the credits. I savored my "me time." It was FABULOUS. As I drove home, I said, "I should do this more often." Just go to a movie, have some "me time," escape for a few hours. I feel like taking these mini-breaks makes me a better mother. We need to take time away. People who work "actual jobs" work from 9-5 (some more, some less). Moms work 24 hours a day...and it's easy to burn out. We need a break. Just like those people who work and they get weekends off, sick days, vacation days...moms need that too.

So, my best advice to my mom friends (or dads if you are out there)...take a break, take some time for yourself...some "me time." It will make you a better mom, dad, wife, husband, etc. (and read or see The Help....such a great story!)

No comments: