Sunday, June 22, 2014

Charlotte's Six Year Checkup

A few weeks ago, Charlotte had her annual well visit.  So, we headed to the pediatrician for her check up.  The 6 year visit should be easy, no shots, just a quick finger prick to test hemoglobin.  When we got in, they weighed/measured her...did her vitals, and then they asked her to come into the hallway to do the eye chart.  I stayed in the room while they asked her to read all of the numbers off of the chart.  I was listening from the room and was surprised to hear that Charlotte was REALLY struggling to read the letters.  She reads at a second grade level, so I knew she knew the letters...she just genuinely couldn't see them.  To say I was shocked was an understatement.  I had just taken her to the optometrist a year ago for her Kindergarten exam and she passed with flying colors.  The pediatrician recommended we take her to the optometrist again to check what was going on.  

So, last week, we made an appointment with the pediatric optometrist.  They had her read a chart on the wall...and again, she couldn't read it.  They determined that, in addition to having trouble with distances, she was also having trouble focusing up close.  So, because she is having trouble with both near and far...and because she is really at an age where reading is kicking in...they recommended glasses.  They want her to wear them at least while she is reading...but they also said that if she wants to wear them all the time, that's okay.  They also reassured me that this wasn't a "lifetime sentence" of glasses.  She could grow out of this in a few years.  Charlotte was actually really excited to get glasses! She had fun picking out a cute pair of Juicy Couture frames :)  I'm so thankful to the pediatrician for catching this...I really wouldn't have thought to bring her back so soon because she aced last years test and none of her teachers had expressed any concern to me.  



No comments: