Monday, September 8, 2014

Rocket Man

This summer, we were informed that Charlotte's school was going to have the opportunity to speak with the astronauts on the International Space Station through a HAMM radio link up though a program called ARISS.  We were asked to fill out a permission form and a NASA talent release for our child to participate.  I mean, what a neat opportunity for all the kids!  To hear a real live astronaut...who is currently in space!!!!  

As it turns out, they were choosing 2 children from every class to ask a question during the 10 minute contact.  And..Charlotte was one of the 2 first graders chosen to ask a question.  They sent home the question she was going to ask and we had to practice with her.  They also pulled her out of class several times the week before to practice with the HAMM radio people.  They had to clearly state their name, the question and then say "over."  

She was so excited and I think Kevin and I were more excited.  I mean, how cool!  She actually gets to speak to a real live astronaut!!!  

Please click on the link below to learn more about the astronaut that she spoke with.  His name is Alexander Gerst and he is German:


Here is a news clip of the event:



Charlotte and her friend, Amelia, who were the two first graders who were asking the astronauts questions.  

Charlotte showing off her special "ARISS Contact Day" T shirt!
We made these little bags for everyone in her class to celebrate the event
I made her a special lunch today!  Star sandwiches :)  

No comments: