Monday, July 19, 2010

Hello From Downers Grove

What a busy few days we have had here!!! As most of you know, we closed on our new home on Friday! It was such a long and drawn out process. We have had so much trouble with the mortgage company. With the mortgage crisis, they are extra strict about who they give money to. At 8:00 am on Friday morning, Chase called and said that we couldn't close (the closing was scheduled for 1:00 pm) because the lawn wasn't in. They were actually at the house laying the sod at that exact time, but they didn't care. They wouldn't even take our word for it...they said they would have to send out an appraiser to verify and that would be next week. Our builder, who is totally awesome, put money into escrow so that the deal would still go through. So, at around 3:00 pm, we became homeowners again! Yay! On the way to the house from the closing, the song Beautiful Day from U2 came on the raido...and yes, it was in fact a beautiful day!!! (literally and figuratively). Within the last 2 days we have had the movers here, internet installed (thank God!), cable installation, washer/dryer delivery and Charlotte's furniture delivery. Add in unpacking and about 15 trips to Home Depot, Target or Best Buy and you can imagine how much sleep Kevin and I have gotten. I'm not kidding about the shopping....I was at Target this morning getting a few things for the bathrooms. When I went to check out, my Amex was declined. I called and they froze my card for "unusual amounts of activity." I had to tell them, no..no one stole my card, unfortunately...it was ALL me. (Edit - I re-read this later and it sounded like I was on wild spending sprees....in actuality, I am buying things that we need for the house that we never needed before: hoses, garbage cans, sprinklers, window well covers, etc.... not Gucci bags)

Charlotte and Nathan were staying with Grandma Clinnin on Friday night and Grandma and Grandpa Cannata on Saturday night. Kevin and I took full advantage of the childless-ness and worked like mad to unpack and get the house set up before the kids came back. We are sore and exhausted. Everyone came over to see the house today and to help us get things done. We got tv's mounted, baby gates assmebled, playroom storage set up, and so many other things. We are really close to being totally unpacked. Phew! Tomorrow, we are having window treatments installed and the phone company coming. Lots and lots going on!!!

I am excited about so many things in this house. One of my favorite things is that Nate has his own room with his own crib. I was thrilled to set up his room and get it ready for him this weekend. I really wasn't able to do that while I was pregnant with him...I missed that. I think that was one of the reasons that it was so surreal having him. I didn't get to "nest" and get a room ready for him. I was rocking him to sleep in his room tonight and it made me so happy.

And because Nate has the crib....guess who has a big girl bed??? That's right..Miss Char. I was so excited for her to see it, I couldn't wait to see her reaction. She was very confused coming into the house. It's like she knew all of the stuff was familiar..but couldn't get the layout. When I put her on her bed to see it, she immediatley said, "No, I can't like it." But, rest assured...she likes it. She was very happy to snuggle up and get cozy and watch Toys's (Translation...Toy Story) and go to bed.

It is now 1:30 am and I have got to go to bed! I started this post a while ago, but I have to keep stopping because Nate is having a hard time sleeping. I think he is teething. Will post some pics of Char in her big girl bed tomorrow!

No comments: