Today, we wanted to go out and get our one "real" Christmas tree. So, we decided to do something both Kevin and I have never done before...we went to cut down our own tree!! We had breakfast, bundled up the kids, went to Home Depot for a saw and drove all of 5 minutes to the tree farm. It took a while to find the right one. Kevin is very picky about his tree. We finally found the one that we wanted! Kevin cut it down while I held Nate in one arm and pushed the tree with the other...all while yelling at Charlotte to stay close by. Why didn't I just put Nate down? He was having NONE of that. He was literally sobbing anytime you weren't holding him. Once we had the tree cut down, we discovered that we were not only pretty far from the car, there was no clear path to get back to the car and we had two tired whiny kids to carry. Yikes. We finally found a path by the road to walk back to the car. We started out with Kevin carrying the back of the tree and me carrying the front with one hand and Nate with the other arm. That was NOT working. So, Kevin dragged the tree, I carried Nate and held Charlotte's hand while she walked. We got it tied to the roof of the car and we were on our way...several lost mitten searches, one poopy diaper, one dropped camera, and many tears later. Would I do it again...absolutely!
Charlotte and Nate the Lumberjack getting ready to head out to find our tree. I mean, seriously...is that not the best tree cutting outfit ever? Those overalls say, "I'm going to chop a tree down."
Can you imagine an actual tree farm right here in Downers Grove??? (Maybe that's where we get the "Grove" part)
Char looking cute while tree hunting
Don't let this picture fool you, Nate was not having this whole trip. He was screaming if he wasn't being held. This made hauling the tree back to the car a FUN experience!
Charlotte taking a break from screaming about her mittens to help us find a tree
We finally found the one!!! Daddy is sawing it down. I was being very helpful by taking pictures. Kevin yelled from under the tree, "Are you taking pictures of me?" Hello....have we met? Of course!
Success!!! That tree was no match for Kevin. By the way, how do we get a 9 foot tree back to our car with two kids in tow....yeah, should have thought that through.
The kids warming up and having a snack while we tied big bertha to the top of the car
Kevin's instructions to me.."Drive really slowly and don't make any sharp turns.."
No comments:
Post a Comment