We have had sort of a busy weekend around here. On Friday, Nate had his 15 month old doctor's appointment. It was the last day of the quarter for Kevin (which means I won't see or talk to him most of the day and into the night as they scramble to book deals). So, I asked my dad to come to the appointment with me. I normally don't need anyone to come with me, but I had some concerns about Nate's walking and I wanted another set of ears there. Nate has been walking since he was 10 months old...but he is always tripping and falling. My mom noticed that his feet (particularly his right foot) are turned in when he walks. After she pointed it out, I really started noticing it...and I noticed it getting worse. My friend, Janelle (Ava's mom) was nice enough to take Charlotte to the Children's Museum with her that morning so that Nate could have my full attention. At the appointment, the doctor had Nate walk for her and after about 4 steps, she said, "Oh yeah, he needs to see an Orthopedic specialist." My heart sank. I was 95% sure he would have to see a specialist, so it really wasn't a shock...but I was a little taken back by how fast she said that he would need to see someone. In my head, I was like, "Wow...it's that bad that she saw it after just 4 steps." She thinks he has something called Tibial Torsion. From what I have read online (because I absolutely started the googling the minute we got home) it is when the actual bone in the leg (the Tibia) is curved inward causing "bow legged-ness" and the foot to point in. Also, from what I have read...it looks like they really don't do any aggressive treatment for it, that it usually fixes itself over time. She did mention that he appeared to be one of the more "pronounced cases" she had seen in a while. So, on the way out, the referral nurse made us an appointment for this Wednesday to see the Orthopedist. I've kind of been bummed about that all weekend. In the grand scheme of things, it's not like he has anything life threatening or anything. But, he's still my baby...and you never want to take your baby to see a specialist of any kind.
I tried to get a picture that shows his leg turning in. You can kind of tell in this picture. I should get one with no pants on, you might be able to see it better.
Well, then the Chicago news starting reporting that we have a Blizzard watch for Tuesday night going into Wednesday. They are predicting at least a foot of snow...and as much as 22" possible. And, guess who was on the first flight out to San Jose this morning??? Yep, Kevin. So, it's just the three of us to hunker down through the storm. They are saying that white out conditions are possible Wednesday morning...right when I was supposed to be taking Nate to see the specialist. Plus, with Kevin gone...the snow blowing falls squarely on my shoulders. I actually asked Kevin to let me snow blow the driveway this past week in case I ever needed to do it while he was traveling. Good timing! I don't mind doing it...but it takes a good half hour to do and I would only be able to do it if the kids were sleeping..or if I took them to the car, strapped them in their carseats and gave them a snack, so I could keep an eye on them. I have been worried about getting the driveway clear enough to get the car out to go to the appt all day. So, this morning, I called the doctor and rescheduled for Monday. It's just not going to be safe to be out. I'm bummed because we had a fun playdate planned for Monday morning at the Children's Museum. Hopefully, we can make it to the next one. To prepare for Blizzard 2011, I went to Target last night to stock up on food and diapers and stuff. So, we really won't need to leave the house in case we actually do get what they are predicting. I told Kevin to pack a few extra pairs of underwear in case he gets stuck in San Jose. He is supposed to be taking the red eye back on Wednesday night arriving Thursday am. He laughs and says I'm crazy. Yeah, well..you'll be thanking me when you don't have to wash out underwear in the hotel sink! Hopefully, we will be able to make it to Charlotte's class tomorrow before the big storm comes through.
If we do get the snow they are predicting...I can't wait to bundle the kids up in their snowsuits and make them stand in front of a huge snow drift for pictures! Baby's first Blizzard!
Charlotte, Ava and Mia at the Children's Museum

It's my red nosed, blue eyed baby with a cold
Rupert and Fenway just waiting for Charlotte to screw up and drop something
1 comment:
I absolutely love the picture of Charlotte and the pups staring at her -- too too cute.
Post a Comment