Monday, March 25, 2013

Spring Break!

This week is spring break for both Charlotte and Nathan!  And how is our spring break going so far??? Well, let's see....both kids have double ear infections and horrible coughs that require three daily breathing treatments each.  And, Charlotte has a case of swimmer's ear in her left ear.  So, it's going SUPER!  

Earlier last week, Charlotte was coughing a lot and having some breathing issues like when we were in Michigan...so I took her to the doctor and they checked her out and said it was probably just a bad cold, but to put her back on the breathing treatments.  She missed one day of school and seemed better after that.  The cough was still there, but it didn't seem as bad.  Then, of course, Nate started coughing a few days later and he turned into a super clingy, feverish sleepy boy.  But, he wasn't complaining of anything, he just kept spiking fevers.  He even had to miss dinner at Grandpa and Grandma Cannata's on Saturday for Uncle Jon's birthday..  

Then, last night, right as Charlotte was going to bed, she started crying and saying her ear was hurting.  She has never once complained about her ear hurting...ever.  So, I gave her some advil to help with the pain to hopefully get us through the night.  These things always happen on Sundays late at night!  She didn't sleep at all, she was crying, screaming and upset all night.  She was in so much pain.  I slept with her in the guest room to try and comfort her.  Around 4:00 am, she was just beside herself.  I turned on the tv and we cuddled and watched cartoons and ate popsicles together.  I was contemplating taking her to the ER..because it was that or wait until 9:00 am when the doctor's office opened.  I didn't know how we were going to survive 5 more hours of this.  I don't remember a lot of things from my childhood, I'm not sure why...there are just a lot of blank spots.  But one of my very vivid memories was one night when I woke up and my ear was throbbing so bad, it was the worst pain I had ever felt so far in my little grade school life.  The next day, my dad took me to the pediatrician and she let him look into the otoscope to see that my ear was beet red.  I remember her saying, "that must hurt very bad!" That's all I kept thinking about last night..that I KNOW how bad an ear ache can be...  

She finally calmed down and somehow got herself to sleep.  I kept a heating pad on low on her ear to try and comfort her.  Around 7:30, the nugget woke up, he felt hot.  We went into the playroom and at 8:59, I called the pediatrician and got us a 10:00 am appointment.  At 9:35, I went to wake Charlotte up and she was happy as a clam..all smiles!  She said she felt sooooo much better....what???  I was like, "we're going anyway."  All three of us got dressed and went to the doctor.  The nurse asked if anyone has been sick. I said Nate has been running a high fever and they have both had the cough that Charlotte was seen for last week. She suggested we check him out too.  They took his temperature and he was 102.  The doctor confirmed both of them had "very bad" ear infections in both ears.  And, their coughs were pretty nasty...so back on the breathing treatments for both of them.  

So, Charlotte is on her first round of antibiotics...ever.  She made it to almost 5 with never needing antibiotics!  And, Nate is back on his non-penicilin antibiotics.  I'm keeping a close eye on Charlotte to see if she is allergic to penicillin like her little brother.  Plus, Charlotte needs ear drops for her swimmer's ear.  I'm running a little infirmary in the guest bedroom.  

While I went straight to CVS from the doctor, Kevin went to Target and got the kids some special movies to keep them entertained while they were going to be laid up for the next few days.  I had to make a chart to keep track of all of the meds these kids need...I don't want to miss a dose!  

So, happy spring break to us!   Hopefully everyone will start feeling better in a few days and we can at least do something fun together!    

No comments: