Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Nathan's on a "Sleep Strike"

Oh what an awful week this has been already! Nathan has decided that he no longer wants to sleep....at all. He is getting up every 30-45 minutes and it is really starting to wear on mommy. I am going on about 36 hours with no substantial sleep. Yesterday, he woke up for good at 6:00, after getting up all night long. All morning, I kept trying to get him to go back to sleep..I would nurse him and get him to the point where I could lay him down and then one of the following would happen: 1. Charlotte would start screaming because she thinks it's funny to do it because it wakes him up and gets me mad, 2. The phone would ring, 3. He would just decide that he wasn't going to sleep if he wasn't being held or nursed. So, he pretty much got no sleep all day long. Then last night he refused to go down at all. Finally about 1:00 in the morning..I put him in the car and drove around for an hour...we drove down to Lake Shore Drive, down to the Loop, around Michigan Avenue and back home. I was pretty much at the verge of tears at this point in the night..I was so frustrated and overtired. Then, I got some perspective as we drove down Fullerton past Children's Memorial Hospital. I guess in the grand scheme of things..if a teething unhappy baby is the worst of my problems, that's pretty good. He was passed out and I brought him inside and he stayed asleep for an hour and a half until 3:30 when we repeated the entire process all over again.

Today has been pretty much the same. He just doesn't want to sleep. He took a half hour nap this morning and that's it. I decided once Charlotte woke up from her nap, I would take them for a walk in the stroller. Nathan always sleeps in his stroller. And..he did. We walked to Barnes and Noble to grab a few new books. It was cold out and they both have runny noses, so I wrapped them both in blankets in the stroller. On the way home, Nate woke up, but he was pleasant. Once back in the yard, Kevin came out to help me get everything back inside...I looked at him and said, "Did you already bring in Charlotte's blanket?" To which he replied, "No!" Fantastic... We lost the blanket sometime on our walk. How could I not notice the blanket fall out of the stroller? Lack of sleep? I was automatically pushed into panic mode. This was not just some blanket..it was her blanket. The one her Great Grandma Joan hand knit for her that she has been sleeping with every night since birth. Kevin took Nathan inside and I threw Char back into the stroller to quickly retrace our steps. Had someone already stolen it? Did it fall out at a busy intersection and has it been run over by 30 cars and dragged? Did it fall out at Barnes and Noble? All of these thoughts were rushing through my head. I began actually running with the stroller. So, it was the first time I ran with the jogging stroller. The farther and farther we got from home, the more my heart pounded and the more I was starting to lose hope that I would find it in one piece. We neared St. Josephat Church and I saw something on the sidewalk...was it a bag, was it a newspaper, was it the blanket?? It WAS the blanket! Thank God! Perhaps St. Josephat looked after it for us! So, we threw it in the stroller and made the trek back. This was much more exercise than I planned for today. Attached are a few pictures of Charlotte reunited with her blankie and also putting it in the laundry to be washed after it's sidewalk adventures.

Over the past few weeks, I have started learning how to navigate Lincoln Park in a double stroller. It's not as easy as you would think. I am learning which establishments are double stroller friendly. For instance, Jewel-Osco...fantastic!!! Automatic doors, wide aisles. If only I had more storage room on the stroller for groceries. It's a good place to go to pick up a few needed things though. Barnes and Noble...pretty good. It's just a hassle to get through the door. The streetwise guy looked at me and said, "sorry they don't want me holding doors for people." Hmm..then no dollar from me, buddy! Walgreens...excellent. Pretty much any place with automatic doors is doable. McDonald's was the worst. We were pretty much trapped in the vestibule until a nice worker helped us out. I think the next time Charlotte wants a treat on our walk, we will have to go through the drive thru...is that even legal?

Here's hoping tonight goes better. Kevin is at the Blackhawks game, so I am dealing with it all myself on limited sleep. Wonderful. At least I also don't have to deal with a meltdown from Charlotte because she doesn't have her blankie! I mean, this kid has to just crash at some point, right???

No comments: