Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Supernanny to the Rescue!

In my younger, childless days, I was the person in the restaurant shooting you daggers for bringing your kids to dinner. I was the one rolling my eyes in the checkout line when you couldn't control your children...and God help you if you brought your children aboard an airplane, because I was the one sighing and shifting uncomfortably in my seat even before they had a chance to misbehave. And now...the Karma gods are repaying me..10 fold. I will admit it, my name is Gina Clinnin...and I cannot control my children in public.

Take yesterday for example, I took the kids to Target to get diapers and goldfish cracker...two essentials in a house with toddlers. Charlotte and Nathan seem to think every time we go to Target, they are entitled to get a soft pretzel and an Icee. This is probably because, every time we go to Target, I buy them a pretzel and an Icee. It all started at Customer Service while I was making a return. Since I had them in the massive cart that the two kids can sit in..I left the cart behind the roped off lines to make the ever so quick return. In the 20 seconds I had my back turned, Charlotte grabbed Nate's face and he screamed bloody murder. Like an, everyone in the front of the store turned around to look, kind of scream. I turned and gave Charlotte a stern, "Leave your brother alone" with an accompanied look that said, "I mean business, lady!" I turned around to get my receipt and, Nate screamed again... Charlotte laughed and looked down with a huge smile on her face like she was attempting to convey, "I didn't do it mom!" This is where the "threat game" commences. I came back to the cart and said, "Charlotte, if you can't keep your hands off of Nate, I swear, I will put you both in a regular cart where Nate sits up front and you have to sit in the basket with all of the stuff we are buying. (She hates that). "Okay, mommy, I'll behave." Then, within 5 minutes she had done something else and I had to whip out the, "Do it once more and you are not getting a pretzel and icee..." Then, she did whatever she had done again (I can't remember what it was now)...and that was it. NO pretzel and Icee for you!!!! We checked out as quickly as humanly possible and when we left the checkout lane, I turned left and headed to the doors instead of turning right towards the food court and all hell broke loose. "No, Mommy!!! I want a pretzel!!!!!" Screaming. I responded, "Well, you should have thought about that before you acted badly in the store! Keep it up and you are going straight to bed with no TV when we get home!" They both screamed from the door to the car...and everyone in the path looked at me like I was a terrible mom. But, I held my head high and didn't waiver...I was doing the right thing...and I don't care what anyone in the Target parking lot thought about that. When we got to the car, I turned on the engine so the air would run, put Char and Nate both in their car seats, loaded up the groceries, returned the cart and got in the driver's seat. That's when she pulled out the, "Mommy, I calmed down...I can get a pretzel now." She was stunned to find out that was not how it works, so she pulled out the, "Mommy, I'm not your friend anymore." Such drama.

Also, Charlotte has entered the tattle tale/I don't like to share phase of her toddlerhood. Let me tell you, I am NOT A FAN. It is SO embarrassing to go to parties, playdates or have friends over now. Charlotte is constantly tattling on everyone for everything. And, not only does she tattle to me, she tattles to the offender's parents. Like, "Miss so and so, Johnny isn't sharing and he won't do abc..." To which I have to step in and say, "Charlotte...STOP tattling!!!" The tattling is one thing, but the not sharing is ten times worse. She will not share anything. We had our new neighbors over for lunch the other day. They have a 4 year old girl and a 2 year old boy. Well, Charlotte and her friend both came down from the playroom in tears after an episode of Charlotte not sharing something. That whole room is filled with toys, yet they can't seem to find something for everyone...they always want what the other one has. I said, "Charlotte...your friend came over to play with you, you need to share your toys!" Her response, "NO, mommy...all the toys in the playroom are MINE!" Whoa....my mouth dropped to the floor in utter embarrassment. I said, "Excuse me??? Listen here, chick....you need to share your toys...wouldn't you be upset and sad if you went to your friend's house and she didn't share her toys with you?" I am at a loss with how to deal with her newfound "bratiness."

We think part of it has to do with her not napping. She hasn't napped in months...which, was fine in the winter. But in the summer, she is up early at camp, burning off a lot of energy outside..we are out and about. I think it's just too much to deal with without a nap. Then, she is falling asleep at 6:00 or 7....and waking up at 8:00 ready to party. No way... So, we have started forcing naps on her again. It's hard...she doesn't want to take one unless I lay down with her...and I have to much to do for a daily nap (it would be nice...but the laundry isn't going to fold itself).

I am at a loss, I don't know what to do. I don't want to take them anywhere because I hate having to publicly discipline my kids. So, I did what any normal mom would do...I ordered a Supernanny book. With her guidance, I should have this all solved by early next week.... I'll keep you updated!

No comments: