Thursday, August 25, 2011

Sanity

Sanity, I have found you and thy name is "gym daycare."

Ah, but I get ahead of myself. Lately, I have been dreading the mornings, dreading. Usually, mornings are a new beginning, a chance to get the day off on the right foot. For me, mornings are becoming torture...and it's all because of a certain soon-to-be 2 year old little boy. He has decided that his wake up time is promptly between 5-5:30am. Yes, you read that correctly. I am not even sure stock brokers are up that early. Sometimes I am able to bring him into bed with me and he will go back to sleep...but by 6-6:30 he is up for good. Fine, whatever..I can deal with being up early. I don't like it, but I can get over it. But, it's his ATTITUDE while he is up that early. He is SO crabby! Seriously, kid, no one is forcing you to be up this early, if you want to go back to bed, be my guest. Then by 6:30-7:00, he is SCREAMING for "eggs toast." I am so not in the mood to be cooking breakfast that early, but eventually he wears me down and I make it. This is where the real fun begins. As I am scrambling eggs as quickly as humanly possible, he is hanging off of my legs (no exaggeration) and screaming and whining the entire time. He CAN NOT get food fast enough. Plus, all of this screaming and whining is bound to wake up Charlotte and God knows, she isn't a morning person. It is SO aggravating. The constant screaming...sometimes I just want to look at him and scream, "Dude, I'm making it as fast as I possible can! I can't change the laws of physics and make eggs set faster." or "Do you see me screwing around over here or do you see me frantically trying to fix your breakfast??" Then, he will inevitably scream for juice, milk, whatever. By this point, the cup of coffee I have made for myself has been sitting under the brewer for 20 minutes because I can't take 60 seconds for myself to add splenda and creamer to enjoy it. I hate the mornings. Hate.

I am about at my wit's end with this. It makes the rest of my day horrible. So, today...I had had enough...I couldn't take the whining (because he is overtired). So, I packed the kids in the car and headed for the gym. A desperate move. I have belonged to said gym for months. I have gone twice. I knew they had a great daycare called the Kidzone that I had heard wonderful things about. However, some of you may remember my last experience with gym day care while in the city. Charlotte was 9 months old and screamed bloody murder the entire time I worked out. I tried a few more times, but I just couldn't take it...it was too hard to watch her on the monitors screaming and crying. So, I never tried again. But...today...I was about to lose my mind and I needed to release some stress (and get back to the gym...holy lord I need to get back in shape and drop a few).

I checked in at the front desk and paid my $6 dollars for one hour of freedom...a small price to pay. It would have cost me less to buy a punch card with 20 prepaid visits, but with my luck, they would hate it and it would go unused. So, I paid full price for my trial run. As we got to the day care, I saw one little blond boy who was screaming his little lungs out. He was a like a little toddler prisoner screaming for his mom and the tears were streaming down his swollen red cheeks. I felt horrible for him, I did. But at the same time, I was like..."Kid, you are gonna scare my kids...get it together!" But, I held my ground...I need a break and you kids are going to stay here. Both kids took off running and didn't look back....fabulous! So, I went and hopped on the elliptical and opened my iPad to read The Help. But, I couldn't concentrate...anytime someone walked by, I was sure that it was someone coming to get me because Nate was hysterical. I got a great workout in, just not much reading. So, about 45 minutes later, I decided to head back and assess the damage. What did I find?? Char was coloring with a little girl that she had gone to summer camp with and Nate was snuggled up with a 70-ish year old woman who was reading him books. When I tell you that I had to drag them to the car kicking and screaming, I am not exaggerating. They were furious that we were leaving! Charlotte cried the entire way home because I am a mean mommy who made her leave and that our house is boring!

This is an amazing discovery...It's a win-win-win.....I need a break, I need the exercise and the kids love it. The women there were so nice. They were like, "Come back anytime..call ahead and we will save two spots...is this the time you would normally come?? This is a good time, it's really busy around 9:00" So, if you need me some weekday and you can't find me...check the gym, because I am sure to be there enjoying my newfound freedom and some much needed ME TIME!

No comments: